As part of the XLIII Board of Directors Meeting of Latin American and Caribbean Supreme Audit Institutions, held in Caracas, Venezuela in May 2009, the president proposed the creation of the Special Commission of Citizen Engagement to standardize policies, action plans and proposals that allow the cross-execution of high-impact projects. This would facilitate the exchange of experiences and knowledge in the pursuit of creating greater awareness and responsibility among citizens of different OLACEFS member countries. Through Agreement 734/05/2009, the Board of Directors proposed for the approval of the XIX Ordinary Meeting, the creation of the Special Commission for Citizen Engagement. The proposal was agreed and the terms of reference approved.
The Citizen Engagement Commission is a permanent advisory body of the Latin American and Caribbean Organization of Supreme Audit Institutions, OLACEFS, which seeks to promote Citizen Engagement and social and capital control through the exercise of fiscal control.
To establish mechanisms and instances of cooperation and joint coordination necessary for the conceptualization and development of strategies for Citizen Engagement and social control, sharing conceptual frameworks, approaches, methodologies, tools and experiences that lead to improved fiscal control and public administration of the countries of the organization in a way that it is conducive to generating social capital in the societies of member countries.
That Supreme Audit Institutions have suitable and harmonized instruments that promote Citizen Engagement and social control in order to facilitate the exercise of collective action through the cooperative action of citizens. This will result in the greater democratization of societies in compliance with the member states’ objectives and will raise levels of trust, legitimacy and credibility concerning audit institutions.
To set up an institutional space within the organization that allows for cooperation regarding schemes to promote Citizen Engagement and social control through fiscal control amongst member SAIs, and promoting joint exercises of this nature for conducting projects of transnational scope and impact.
- Promote methodologies for fostering Citizen Engagement in fiscal control.
- Share conceptual approaches in terms of Citizen Engagement within the fiscal control.
- Exchange experiences and successful cases of Citizen Engagement and social control in public administration.
- Attract technical, scientific and financial international cooperation for the design and implementation of projects to promote Citizen Engagement and social control.
- Develop training programs on instruments, tools, theoretical focuses and practical experiences of Citizen Engagement and social control.
- Office of the Comptroller General of the Republic of Costa Rica (Chair)
- Office of the Comptroller General of the Plurinational State of Bolivia
- Office of the Comptroller General the Republic of Colombia
- Superior Audit Office of Mexico
- Office of the Comptroller General of the Republic of Panama
- Office of the Comptroller General of the Republic of Paraguay
- Office of the Comptroller General of the Republic of Peru
- Accounts Chamber of the Dominican Republic
- Office of the Comptroller General of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
- Court of Accounts of the Republic of Uruguay
Within the framework of the XXII General Assembly of OLACEFS, held in Gramado, Brazil in November 2012, the resolution to monitor issues of gender and transparency in Superior Audit Institutions was approved, creating for that purpose a monitoring team (coordinated by the SAI of Dominican Republic) within the Technical Committee of Citizen Engagement (CTPC).
This Monitoring Team on Gender and Transparency of the Supreme Audit Institutions developed a series of actions leading to the formulation of a short- and medium-term work plan, and to the management of strategic alliances with international organizations, in coordination with the Executive Secretariat of OLACEFS and with the support of GIZ.
Abg. JoséEnrique García Avalos
Comptroller General of the Republic of Paraguay
Head of Commission for Citizen Engagement
Telephone number : +595216200412
Telephone number : +595216200304
Telephone number : +595216200311
Iván Gabriel Balmori
Director of Management Cooperation
Telephone number : +595216200304